Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Thanksgiving Verses - Part 17

The minor prophets provide us with two thanksgiving passages, one in Amos and one in Jonah.

In Amos, God mocks those of Israel who are about to go into captivity with an ironic command for thanksgiving. As such, it is one of the few references (perhaps the only one in the Old Testament) to thanksgiving that is not positive.

Amos 4:4-5
Come to Bethel, and transgress; at Gilgal multiply transgression; and bring your sacrifices every morning, and your tithes after three years: and offer a sacrifice of thanksgiving with leaven, and proclaim and publish the free offerings: for this liketh you, O ye children of Israel, saith the Lord GOD.

In Jonah, Jonah prays out of the fish's belly, a prayer that exudes hope and a promise of thanksgiving to God. It ends on the cornerstone of monergism: Salvation is of the Lord. Our sinful estate was more miserable than that of Jonah, and yet God looked in mercy on us and saved us. Let us give thanks to the God of our salvation!

Jonah 2

Then Jonah prayed unto the LORD his God out of the fish's belly, and said,

I cried by reason of mine affliction unto the LORD, and he heard me; out of the belly of hell cried I, and thou heardest my voice. For thou hadst cast me into the deep, in the midst of the seas; and the floods compassed me about: all thy billows and thy waves passed over me.

Then I said, I am cast out of thy sight; yet I will look again toward thy holy temple. The waters compassed me about, even to the soul: the depth closed me round about, the weeds were wrapped about my head. I went down to the bottoms of the mountains; the earth with her bars was about me for ever: yet hast thou brought up my life from corruption, O LORD my God.

When my soul fainted within me I remembered the LORD: and my prayer came in unto thee, into thine holy temple. They that observe lying vanities forsake their own mercy. But I will sacrifice unto thee with the voice of thanksgiving; I will pay that that I have vowed. Salvation is of the LORD.

And the LORD spake unto the fish, and it vomited out Jonah upon the dry land.

No comments: