Monday, April 20, 2009

Middle Knowledge - Video Series

I have now concluded the series on Middle Knowledge and specifically of Turretin's treatment of it, in his Institutes of Elenctic Theology. I should note that a summary of the section that I addressed has been created and can be found at the following link (link). I didn't consult this list specifically in the preparation of my videos, but I hope you will find it agrees fairly well with them.

Should you wish to play all the videos in the Middle Knowledge series together, here you go (nothing new in this, just the six videos of the series played one after the other):



If you would like to see a critique of Middle Knowledge from a slightly different perspective (although he does find his way to Turretin around pp. 29-30), Travis Campbell has provided an interesting article, which one can find at the following link (link). I should point out that he seems to give rather more attention to Bruce Ware and Terrance Tiessen than they deserve on this topic and seems to conclude with them that there are "true counterfactuals of creaturely freedom" - a significant and (in my view) unnecessary concession to William Lane Craig, one of the leading Molinists today (although I should qualify this comment by noting that there are some latent ambiguities in the terminology that Mr. Campbell uses, which may actually place him closer to the position I hold than it would at first appear).

-TurretinFan

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

TF,

again, this was a very good look see video series on the "way" Turrentin thought about middle knowledge.

In the earlier video I wanted to know something about 5-8 inside the 13th question.

What I am now curious about is how Turrentin handled Genesis 1 in his Institutes of Elenctic Theology?

More particularly, seeing you reprinted his quotation: ["ut si Sol oriatur, dies erit" (that if the Sun rises, day it will be).],
I wanted to know how he deals with "light" in the first day of creation and the "greater and lesser lights" of the 4th day of creation?

It seems to me, based on the quotation, he has some insights and thoughts? What do you know of these insights and thoughts of Turrentin regarding "light"/1st day and the "Sun"/signs and seasons, days and years and "let them be lights in the expanse of the heavens to give light upon the earth." 4th day?

Anonymous said...

Also, FYI, the link to Campbell's article is not found when I link to it?