Friday, January 05, 2024

We don't worship Mary, but ...

 Roman Catholics in the US are quick to say that they don't worship Mary.  That said, the Vatican website provides the "Litany of Loreto."  The prayer states:

Lord have mercy.

Christ have mercy.

Lord have mercy.

Christ hear us.

Christ graciously hear us.


God, the Father of heaven, 

have mercy on us.


God the Son, Redeemer of the world, 

God the Holy Spirit, 

Holy Trinity, one God,

...

Lamb of God, who takes away the sins of the world, 

spare us, O Lord.


Lamb of God, who takes away the sins of the world, 

graciously hear us, O Lord.


Lamb of God, who takes away the sins of the world, 

have mercy on us.


... 

Let us pray. 

Grant, we beseech thee, 

O Lord God, 

that we, your servants,

may enjoy perpetual health of mind and body; 

and ...  

may be delivered from present sorrow, 

and obtain eternal joy. 

Through Christ our Lord. 

Amen.

Of course, as the ellipses may have given away, I have removed part of the prayer.  The part that I have left behind seems like a Christian prayer.  The trouble is that I've had to remove the majority of lines of the prayer.  The first ellipsis omits about 50 lines of adoration of Mary in which she is called, among other absurd blasphemies, "Virgin most venerable" and "Virgin most powerful."  Worse than that, she is titled "Morning star," a title that Jesus claims for himself:

Revelation 22:16 - I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star.

I wish that exhausted the blasphemy, but it does not.  God (not Mary) is the refuge of sinners.  

Psalm 91:2 - I will say of the LORD, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust.

Rome's promotion of the Litany of Loreto is obvious heresy.  Come out of her, my friends!

No comments: