Monday, May 02, 2011

400th Anniversary

As the Virginia Hugenot reported, May 2, 2011, is the 400th anniversary of the first printing of the King James or "Authorized" Version of the Bible. Whether or not you agree with my assessment that it is still the best widely-available English translation of the Bible or not, this is cause for celebration. Notwithstanding the motives the King who authorized its translation, the King James Version has proved to be a treasure for the last four centuries, and will doubtless continue to be in the next one.

4 comments:

Craig said...

I was listening to NPR a couple of weeks ago and they highlighted the AV's anniversary. The AV introduced expressions to the English language forever shaping it...today,it's the other way around.

I often wonder if the onslaught of Bible versions is an inherent distrust in the power of the Word or if it might driven more by money...probably both, but I don’t know which motivator is stronger.

Do you have an opinion on the NKJV or the NASB? These are my preferred versions, though I'm not averse to the AV. I've read that the NASB is an attempt at translating more word-for-word, and I just assumed the NKJV was the KJV minus thees and thous.

Turretinfan said...

The biggest difference between the NKJV and the NASB is the underlying Greek text. The underlying Greek text of the NKJV is more similar to that of the KJV, whereas the NASB uses essentially the modern critical text.

Craig said...

Just thought I'd let you know...based on what you said, I decided to order an AV (with metrical Psalms) from the Trinitarian Bible Society.

I had never heard of this group, but they are very friendly (I've spoken with them and exchanged a couple of emails)...to top it off, their Bibles are of a better quality, more affordable and NOT printed in China like some of these 400 year anniversary editions I looked into.

Turretinfan said...

Sounds very nice! I hope you enjoy it!