Saturday, August 23, 2008

Covenantal Divide Between Presbyterians and non-Dispensational Reformed Baptist

I enjoyed reading a recent post at the Thomas Goodwin blog, where the pseudonymous (like the present author) author provided some interesting commentary on the minority position held by Owen in contrast to that of the other major Reformed writers (Witsius, van Mastricht, and Turretin). (link) I would tend to see Owen's view as being consistent with Reformed Baptist (of the non-dispensational variety) position, whereas the other major Reformers would tend to favor the Presbyterian view. This is of particular interest in view of recent dialog and debate on the issues of infant baptism between Reformed Baptists and conservative Presbyterians.

-TurretinFan

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have yet to hear a good debate on this subject and that is why I continue in my belief on paedo-baptism. I feel that the Bible teaches it and no one from the RBC can convince me of credo-baptism. Actually, Dr. McMahon from A Puritan's Mind use to do debates for credo then as he studied more he switched over to paedobaptism. I still haven't read his work on it, but I intend to do so!!

Turretinfan said...

I didn't realize that about Dr. McMahon. He's also a big fan of Turretin, btw. :)

-TurretinFan

Anonymous said...

Yes, it's very true! He wrote a letter to the RBC and told them of his "conversion". It was a very humble and wonderful letter. It's on his site. I just have to find his work on this subject...I'm very excited to read it...I just have to find the time in between my own studying of the Bible!