- He doesn't know where Caner lived prior to high school.
- Caner's father was a devout Muslim.
- Caner's mother and grandmother are from Sweden.
- Caner's grandmother never spoke any English.
- Caner's parents' divorce was hotly contested.
- Caner's father disowned him once Caner came to Christ.
It is very true that we need to be careful in this. I myself have been extremely careful not to make my own background an apologetic or polemic argument; yet, like all who repent and trust in Christ alone for salvation, I am a forgiven sinner.
On the other hand, I would take issue with the idea that the concerns that are being raised are, in essence, only visible under a microscope. The evidence that we have seems to suggest that Dr. Caner's public image has been systematically built around an exaggeration of his Muslim past. There have been picayune objections to things like Dr. Caner's pronunciation of Arabic words, but there are also more serious things that have been alleged.
N.B. Thanks to bruineric for pointing out this comment to me.